Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Back to School (Artist Spotlight: Akiko Stehrenberger)

Stepped back into reality today - and it appears as though I actually missed it! I had my first day of my Graphic Illustration class, and my first assignment for the class will be to create a caricature of myself. Even though I am the worst illustrator, I'm really stoked on the class and completing this first project (especially because we can use any media we want which doesn't happen too often - hello paint!!). Our teacher (who is new to me but complimented my glasses so must be a cool dude) recommended some artists to research regarding the caricature assignment, which led me to viewing Akiko Stehtrnberger's illustrations - So rad.

Akiko graduated from the Art Center College of Design in 2000 and is working in L.A. as an art director and a designer for movie poster advertising while doing freelance work for magazines, portraiture, cd artwork and more. She has done such publications as SPIN, The Source, New York Press and more, and has received a great amount of recognition and press for her works. Akiko's editorial work includes some of my favourites by her, which I have displayed below. She has done illustrations of people such as Franz Ferdinand, Tupac, The White Stripes and more. 


Kurt Cobain
Acrylic. For article "Notes from the Underground" in Filter Magazine.
Artwork also hand-painted on guitars signed by Kim Gordon as sweepstake prizes
in promotion of the movie "Last Days" by Gus Van Sant.

Macauley Culkin
Acrylic. For "Deface the Face" competition, The Face Magazine.
Displayed in Lions Den/Puma group show 2006.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs
For LeBook.



Check out Creative Review's 19 page zine of her illustrated movie poster work for their January 2011 Monograph series - It offers a glimpse into the 'what might have been' world of movie posters with a selection of her Hollywood poster proposals that never made it. The issue was released on December 16 2010 and features 'Ones to Watch' for 2011, which is based around six very talented people who are believed to make their mark in the art world this year. This includes illustrator Gwénola Carrère who created the cover of the issue, seen below. I highly recommend taking a look at the issue! Lots of great things to be seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment